LOST ANGELES LAND USE & ZONING LAWYER
Land use and zoning regulations can be some of the most complicated processes involved in business. Government agencies at the local, state, and federal levels have strict requirements as to how you can use land and what activities you can do on it. Whether you need legal guidance with this elaborate field or you are involved in a dispute regarding land and zoning regulations, a practiced Los Angeles land use & zoning attorney can help.
Our team of real estate land use attorneys at Blake & Ayaz has a combined sixty years of experience helping their clients navigate the nuanced field of land use law. From helping you swiftly secure a land use permit to representing you at zoning board appeals, we can be by your side. We also know all there is to know about the zoning requirements in Los Angeles, so we can help you understand the rules you need to abide by to successfully obtain a permit.
WHAT IS LAND USE LAW?
As the name suggests, land use laws articulate how land can be used and under what conditions. For instance, imagine you want to set up a residential building. There are always certain rules for how many units you can have per acre of land. In order to use land for a professional purpose, you will have to abide by land use laws that cover all of the following categories and more:
- Permits: In some cases, you will need a permit in order to develop an area of land. It is crucial that you understand the permit requirements for the land you are using and make sure that all of your paperwork is in order in order to legally use the land. For example, the California Building Standards Code requires a permit for every erected structure.
- Natural Resources: Environmental law outlines specific regulations for how human activities and businesses can coexist with efforts that preserve the environment. Depending on what kind of land you are dealing with, you might have to abide by specific measures that are in place to protect natural resources like bodies of water or forests.
- Anti-Pollution: Land use laws often include regulations as to how to prevent pollution on land. The activities you undertake on a particular lot of land will have to abide by these laws. For example, you might have to implement measures to control stormwater runoff so that you do not pollute nearby bodies of water.
- Safety: When it comes to construction projects, there are always specific safety codes that are in place to keep occupants from getting hurt. It is important that you understand these safety codes when you are making the decision to use a particular plot of land.
- Subdivision Planning: Property owners and developers often divide land into smaller parts called subdivisions. Each one of them is subject to specific regulations and involves a great deal of planning. For example, planning subdivisions involves understanding the layout of sidewalks, sewage systems, and water supply.You likely do not have the time to be bothered with these sorts of things when expanding or building the location of your business. Relying on an attorney to take care of these things for you can help you stay on track.
- Gentrification: When wealthier individuals move and change the socioeconomic fabric of a particular area, you will find that major changes occur. For instance, the property value can often increase, and there are changes in the types of businesses and employment opportunities that exist there. Navigating the changes in land use and zoning regulations that might result from gentrification can be tough.
- Purchasing or Selling Land: There are often specific regulations as to how land sales and property transfers have to work. If you are trying to get rid of or obtain a piece of property, you can save yourself a lot of time and stress if you hire a land use and zoning attorney who can handle navigating all of the obligations.
WHAT IS ZONING LAW?
Your municipality will have zoning ordinances that categorize land into different zones. Typically, these zones are agricultural, commercial, industrial, and residential. Depending on the zone your land is in, there will be specific rules that you have to abide by.
For example, you might be subject to following rules about the distribution of alcohol. If you need an alcohol license or are facing a dispute involving an alcohol license, you should get in contact with a zoning attorney.
WHY DO YOU NEED A ZONING & LAND USE ATTORNEY?
Land use and zoning laws are incredibly complex, and it can be tougher than you might expect to sort through all of the detailed rules and regulations. Whether you are dealing with public land, government land, private properties, or eminent domain situations, consulting with an experienced land use and zoning attorney can help you understand all of the requirements you need to follow and how to do so.
A land use & zoning attorney can also be a priceless resource when it comes to navigating the application and approval process for a land development project or for changing zoning designations.
For example, if you’re a developer who wants to develop a plot of land to build a residential building, you will have to secure a land use permit and address a long list of other requirements, such as plan guidelines and asbestos disclosures. Your lawyer can explain every single thing you need to ensure you follow the rules, and they can also take care of getting all of these papers together so that you can put your time and energy into other responsibilities.
Your lawyer can also help you with all of the following things and more:
- Answering Your Questions: If you are overwhelmed by the amount of detailed rules and regulations that you have to abide by when involving yourself in real estate, it is completely understandable to feel this way. Your attorney can patiently and compassionately answer your inquiries about the process and address any concerns you have about your unique situation.
- Representing You in Court if Necessary: A lot of cases involving land use and zoning do not end up going to court. However, if you find yourself in a tense legal battle, you might have to enter a courtroom. Your lawyer will have been prepared for this possibility since the day you met and will craft a strong argument on your behalf.
- Guiding You Through Your Legal Process: When you consult with your attorney about the land use situation you are facing, your lawyer will determine the ideal path to achieve a positive outcome.For example, if you need help securing a permit, your lawyer can help you understand what steps are required to get one. If you are dealing with a more complicated issue, like fighting in a zoning dispute, your lawyer can also help set up your expectations for what this process will look like.
- Representing You at Administrative Hearings: If you are facing a housing dispute, you might have to attend an administrative hearing to resolve the issue.For example, imagine you want to add an extension to your property, but it would violate your municipality’s zoning requirements. To get around this, you would have to request a zoning variance from a board of appeals. Your lawyer can represent you at this hearing so that you can focus on other parts of your business.
- Adjust to a Policy Update: One of the many reasons why the world of zoning regulations is so complicated is that they are often changing. If there is an update to certain policies, you might find that the regulations for your business change. Your lawyer can help you adjust to such changes and take any necessary actions.
- Make Sure You Have the Necessary Papers: If you want to secure a permit, you will have to go through a long process and secure a lot of paperwork to prove that you are following all of the rules. For example, you will need to fill out an application and provide site maps and detailed plans for your project.If you do not have the necessary information or you provide insufficient information, your request might be denied, and your business plans could face a huge setback as a result. If you put your trust in a seasoned lawyer, you can make sure that you have everything you need and that you put enough work into the application to achieve a positive result.
- Helping you Prepare for Permit Inspections: The Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) conducts inspections to make sure that the work being done adheres to all of the state’s standards.If you do not pass the permit inspection, you could face major delays in getting your business up and running, and you might even face monetary fees for reinspection. A lawyer can help you adequately prepare for the inspection to minimize the risk of not passing.
KNOWLEDGEABLE LOS ANGELES LAND USE & ZONING LAWYERS ON YOUR SIDE
Building, remodeling, or expanding a business are all important milestones that should be celebrated. Having to navigate complicated land use and zoning laws can take away from all of that. However, with the right Los Angeles attorney standing up for your rights, you can navigate the confusing world of land use and zoning laws without a huge headache.
At Blake & Ayaz, we can carefully listen to your concerns and inquiries regarding land use and zoning requirements. We have extensive knowledge of the land use and zoning requirements in Los Angeles and can help clearly explain them to you so you understand what rules you have to abide by. Our team can also use our in-depth knowledge of the permit application process to help you secure the permission you need without any hiccups.
If you are ready for a knowledgeable hand to guide you through this complicated legal path, you should reach out to our team today. With our team in your corner, you will have one less thing to worry about and can focus on your most important goals.